Saturday, August 27, 2016

Textbooks to Chromebooks 16- Grammarly

I started using Grammarly with my students because, other than spelling, there wasn't  a grammar check built into Google Docs.  I had the students add this extension to their Chrome Books which then allowed them to copy their writings and insert them into Grammarly.
Grammarly then assessed their writing for critical and advanced issues. Students saw the critical issues and recommendations for correcting the issues.  However,  only the paid version gave recommendations for advanced issues referring such things style and word choice.  However, Grammarly did underline advanced errors for mistakes and then we could discuss possible changes to fix these issues.
I  purchased the paid version for myself because it gave me access to corrections for contextual spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, style, plagiarism, vocabulary enhancement and access to professional proofreaders.  I also received a weekly report from Grammarly indicating areas that needed the most correction.
While Grammarly isn't fully integrated with Google Docs at this time the fact that the documents can be copied and pasted into Grammarly does offer a way for students to check their writing.
Also, Grammarly works in other programs such as email and Blogger.  Now I have no excuse not to send an email to a colleague or parent that is free of errors.  I would recommend looking into adding this extension to see if it can aid in improving your students' writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas.