Saturday, August 20, 2016

Textbook to Chromebooks 15- Khanacademy.org

The last month of the 2015-2016 I signed my 6th-grade students up to use khanacademy.org.  This is a free program.  I was trying to move to a blended learning model and I needed self-directed learning stations for the students to work on the same math skills that I was trying to introduce in my direct instruction groups.
 I knew that I found the instructional videos in the Khan academy library to be helpful to me personally so perhaps it would be beneficial for my students as well.  That is why I opted to try khanacdemy.org with my students.  So after students received their username and password they could log in to work on the assigned topics.   In the 6th-grade mission, there are 126 skills for the students to practice.  As they practice and master more skills the students could earn badges.  The students could work their way through the mission independently or work on specific topics.  I chose to have the students work on specific skills so that when I checked progress daily I could see what skills they were mastering or struggling on.  Here are the topics that are covered in Khan Academy for the 6th-Grade curriculum:











When the student clicked on a topic they got more choices to work on specific skills.  For instance, these are the choice of activities under Properties of Numbers:


























When the student clicked on the first lesson, Least Common Multiple, they view a video(s) about Least Common Multiple (note:  students could click on the transcript to get a written record of what was being said)











Once the student finished viewing the video, in some cases they would watch another video on a new skill or at the bottom of the list is a circle with a star in it and the student would practice the skill to show mastery.











This is what the screen looked like if they have reached the practice part:












As they worked on the topic I received  reports either saying the topic was in progress, the student needed encouragement, or if they had completed the topic the student's progress was recorded as skill mastered or struggling.

Now, I am looking forward to using khanacademy.org over an entire school year to see how much my students' skills in  math will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas.